Beginner Deep Sky Astrophotography ~ One-On-One Private Instruction
Customize A Workshop To Meet Your Needs.
One-on-one attention to help you begin your journey into deep sky astrophotography. For many, the best way to learn about deep sky astrophotography is through a one-on-one session. It’s a great way to learn just what you need, at your own pace and on your own schedule.
Deep sky or deep space often means photographing astounding deep-sky objects in the night sky such as the Andromeda Galaxy, Orion Nebula, Pinwheel Galaxy and Star Clusters through telephoto lenses or telescopes using tracking mounts.
NO EXPERIENCE OR EQUIPMENT NEEDED!
Whether you have "some" experience or "no" experience, "some" gear or "no" gear, I will help simplify the process of capturing deep sky wonders, using my gear or yours.
Astrophotography requires a professional level camera and lens in order to be successful and get the image results you are looking for.
This minimum equipment is required if you are using your own gear.
- DSLR or mirrorless camera (crop or full frame)
- Telephoto lens (150-600mm is recommended)
- No less than two batteries
- Extra memory cards
- Headlamp with red filter
- Tracker - I recommend the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer Kit or iOptron SkyGuider Pro Kit which comes complete with everything you need including declination bracket, and counter-weight for less than $500
- Warm clothes (as the night gets later it does get cooler)
- Gloves and hat
- Boots with warm socks
- Snacks and beverages
- Camping chair or a portable seat. We do a lot of standing.
Price: $495 / Night
Includes up to 7 hours in field instruction. Additional hours may be added for $75.00 / hr.
What You Will Learn:
- The best times and places to photograph the night sky
- How to find the best dark sky location
- Best equipment to use
- How to best setup your equipment on location
- How to accurately polar align your tracker
- How to locate and frame your specific target in the night sky
- How to focus your lens in the dark
- How to set shutter speed and ISO for optimal exposure
- Creating lights, darks, flats and bias frames
Some of the more popular targets we will shoot depending on the season include:
- Orion Nebula
- Running Man Nebula
- North American Nebula
- Heart and Soul Nebula
- Flame Nebula
- Horsehead Nebula
- Andromeda Galaxy
- Triangulum Galaxy
- Bodes Galaxy
No gear? No problem. I have all the necessary equipment needed to give you a good overview of deep sky photography using a telescope with tracker or tracker with telephoto lens system.
Please email me through the Contact page to discuss your needs and scheduling.
Once a meeting time has been worked out you’ll be referred back to the website to purchase your session and secure your time slot.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help with your gear or equipment requirements. I am happy to help!
I also offer Private One on One Milky Way Photography Instruction.
Please, feel free to contact me.