The first time you see the Milky Way on the back of your camera on a clear night, it's truly an exhilarating experience!
Learn the art of capturing the Milky Way during new moon when the skies are at their darkest.
This workshop will give you the building blocks for photographing the night sky, location planning, best equipment to use - PLUS instruction on how to process your images using Lightroom Classic CC to create stunning art.
We will focus on wide-field astrophotography, which can best be described as landscape photography in the dark, with an emphasis on capturing brilliant Milky Way images using wide-angle lenses.
Workshop includes pre-shooting classroom instruction in Colorado Springs, CO followed by a shooting session at a dark sky location near Lake George, CO.
PLUS: A 2 hour digital processing class to ensure your images are processed to perfection!
Beginner to Advanced photographers will benefit from this workshop.
Dates Still Available:
June 1 & 2
July 3 & 4
July 4 & 5 - Sold Out
July 6 & 7
August 3 & 4
August 31 & Sept 1
What You’ll Learn:
- The best times to photograph the Milky Way
- How to find the best dark sky location
- Best equipment to use
- How to focus in the dark
- How to set exposure and ISO
- Rule of 400 / 500 / 600
- Identifying other lights in the night sky
Required Equipment and Accessories :
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with ISO range to at least 6400 and shutter speeds to at least 30 secs
- Wide angle lens with a aperture of f/4 or larger and a full frame equivalent of 14 - 35 mm
- A sturdy tripod
- Intervalometer, wireless remote or shutter release cord
- Headlamp with a RED filter (or a small red flashlight - if you don't have one you can purchase one here for $7.00)
- Small flashlight
NOTE: If you need to purchase or rent ANY of the required equipment - please, feel free to contact me at 719.930.1301 and I can help you get set up.
- Warm clothes (as the night gets later it does get cooler)
- Gloves and hat
- Snacks and beverages
- Camping chair or any portable seat
Below is a basic itinerary for these workshops:
Day 1 of Workshop: Night of Shooting
- We will meet in the early evening for 3 hours of classroom instruction about gear, techniques and a equipment review at : Banning Lewis Ranch House Conference Room, 6885 Vista Del Pico Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80927
- Depart for shooting location (carpooling or transportation on own)
- On-location instruction (approximately 4 hours) at dark sky location near Lake George, CO.
- Return home
Day 2 of Workshop: Digital Processing Class
Digital processing is a crucial step in astrophotography. Bringing out the faint details, colors and for creating striking images.
- We will meet back at 1 pm in Colorado Springs for a 2 hour informal processing instruction using Lightroom Classic CC.
- Location at: Banning Lewis Ranch House, 6885 Vista Del Pico Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80927
What You’ll Need For Processing Class:
- Bring your laptop to the class loaded with a couple of images you want to process. Make sure you have the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC loaded. If you don’t already own Lightroom Classic CC you can download a free 7 day trial here.
- Please have your Milky Way images from the night before pre-loaded in Lightroom before arriving to class. Pick 3 you want to process in class.
- Notebook paper and pen for keeping notes.
- You will be given a 4 page "cheat sheet" on the things we covered for you to take home.
NOTE: You should already be well acquainted with your computer and settings and know your way around your operating system.
Class Size: Limited to 8 participants.
Want to go deeper in post-processing your images? Check out our great Lightroom Classic CC and Photoshop CC courses we offer.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help with your gear or equipment requirements. I am happy to help!
NOTE: 5-7 days before the workshop begins an email will go out giving you more specifics on the itinerary and shooting location.
I Also Offer Private Astrophotography Workshops:
For many, the most efficient way to learn about photography is through one-on-one sessions. It’s a great way to learn just what you need, at your own pace and on your own schedule.
One-on-One Private Workshop: It’s a great way to learn just what you need, at your own pace and on your own schedule.
Semi-Private Workshop: We can also craft a custom workshop to meet your needs for you and 1 to 3 of your closest friends.
Cost: $450.00 for the first photographer, $225.00 for each additional photographer. Maximum 4 photographers.
For more information and to register click here.
Feel free to contact me if you want to set up a private session or just have questions.