Join us April 5th - 6th for the kick off of the Milky Way Photography Season this April during new moon when the skies are at their darkest!
This workshop will give you the building blocks for photographing the night sky, location planning, best equipment to use plus a comprehensive classroom instruction on how to enhance your images using Lightroom Classic CC and much more!
We will focus on wide-field astrophotography, which can best be described as landscape photography in the dark, with an emphasis on capturing brilliant Milky Way images using wide-angle lenses.
Day 1: April 5th : Includes 2 hours of classroom instruction followed by a shooting session at a dark sky location near Lake George, Colorado.
Day 2: April 6th : Includes a 3 hour comprehensive class on how to enhance your images using Lightroom Classic CC.
Beginner to Advanced photographers will benefit from this workshop.
What You’ll Learn:
Day 1 - At Shooting Location
The best times to photograph the Milky Way
- How to find the best dark sky location
- Best equipment to use
- How to focus in the dark
- How to set exposure and ISO
- Rule of 500
- Identifying other lights in the night sky
Required Equipment and Accessories :
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with ISO range to at least 6400 and shutter speeds to at least 30 secs
- Wide angle lens with a aperture of f/4 or larger and a full frame equivalent of 14 - 35 mm
- A sturdy tripod
- Intervalometer, wireless remote or shutter release cord
- Headlamp with a red filter
- Small flashlight
NOTE: If you need to purchase or rent ANY of the require equipment - please, feel free to contact me at 719.930.1301 and I can help you get all set up.
- Warm clothes
- Gloves and hat
- Snack and beverage
- Camp chair or any portable seat
NOTE: This workshop is an overnight workshop due to the Milky Way's Galactic core not rising until after 1am in April.
Below is a basic itinerary for these workshops:
Day 1 of Workshop: April 5th
- We will meet in the early evening for 2 hours of classroom instruction about gear, techniques and an equipment review at: Banning Lewis Ranch Recreation Center, 6885 Vista Del Pico Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80927
- Depart for shooting location at 10 pm (Transportation is included)
- Arrive at shooting location at 11:30 PM
- On-location instruction (approximately 4 hours)
- Return to Colorado Springs, CO (approximately 5 AM)
Day 2 of Workshop: April 6th
- We will meet back at 1 pm in Colorado Springs for a 3 hour comprehensive class on Lightroom Classic CC at:
Banning Lewis Ranch Recreation Center, 6885 Vista Del Pico Blvd, Colorado Springs, CO 80927
What You'll Learn in our Lightroom Class: Day 2
Workflow, Importing and Organizing - 1.5 Hour Session
- How to setup up a catalog
- Establishing a workflow
- Importing images
- Rating images
- Deleting images
- Using keywords
- Editing metadata
- How to locate images
Editing and Exporting - 1.5 Hour Session
- Cropping and resizing
- Fixing in camera errors
- Removing small problems
- Digital conversion to black and white
- Adjusting white balance
- Best sharpening techniques
- Removing noise
- Preparing images for print or web publishing
- How to add a watermark
- Editing between Photoshop and Lightroom
- Various export formats
What You’ll Need:
- Bring your laptop to the class loaded with a couple of images you want to process. Make sure you have the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC loaded. If you don’t already own Lightroom Classic CC you can download a free 7 day trial here.
- Notebook paper and pen for keeping notes.
- You will be given a 4 page "cheat sheet" on the things we covered for you to take home.
You should already be well acquainted with your computer and settings and know your way around your operating system.
What Version Will You Be Teaching?
This class is based on the version of the software that is now known as Lightroom Classic CC. If you don’t already own Lightroom you can download a free 7 day trial here.
Please feel free to contact me if you have ANY questions or need ANY help with your gear or equipment requirements. I am happy to help!
Class Size: Limited to 8 participants.