Night photography can be tricky and even a bit frustrating if you are forced to figure it out by yourself so why not let me join you for a night under the stars to help take the agonizing guess work out and help you focus on taking your photography to the next level.
The first time you see the Milky Way on the back of your camera on a clear night, it's truly an exhilarating experience!
Learn the art of capturing the Milky Way during new moon when the skies are at their darkest. This workshop will give you the building blocks for photographing the night sky, location planning, best equipment to use - PLUS instruction on how to process your images using Lightroom Classic CC to create stunning art.
We will focus on wide-field astrophotography, which can best be described as landscape photography in the dark, with an emphasis on capturing brilliant Milky Way images using wide-angle lenses.
Workshop includes pre-shooting classroom instruction followed by a shooting session at a dark sky location.
PLUS: A short digital processing class to ensure your images are processed to perfection!
One-on-One Private Workshop: It’s a great way to learn just what you need, at your own pace and on your own schedule.
Semi-Private Workshop: We can also craft a custom workshop to meet your needs for you and 1 to 3 of your closet friends.
Cost: $450.00 for the first photographer, $225.00 for each additional photographer. Maximum 4 photographers.
Beginner to Advanced photographers will benefit from this workshop.
What You’ll Learn:
- The best times to photograph the Milky Way
- How to find the best dark sky location
- Best equipment to use
- How to focus in the dark
- How to set exposure and ISO
- Rule of 500
- Identifying other lights in the night sky
Required Equipment and Accessories :
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with ISO range to at least 6400 and shutter speeds to at least 30 secs
- Wide angle lens with a aperture of f/4 or larger and a full frame equivalent of 14 - 24 mm
- A sturdy tripod
- Intervalometer, wireless remote or shutter release cord
- Headlamp with a red filter
- Small flashlight
- Warm clothes
- Gloves and hat
- Snack and beverage
- Camping chair or any portable seat
Below is a basic itinerary for these workshops:
Day 1 of Workshop: Night of Shooting
- We will meet in the early evening for 2 hours of classroom instruction about gear, techniques and a equipment review
- Depart for shooting location (carpooling or transportation on own)
- On-location (TBD) instruction (approximately 4 hours)
- Return home
Day 2 of Workshop: Digital Processing Class
Digital processing is a crucial step in Astrophotography. Bringing out the faint details, colors and for creating striking images.
- We will meet back at 1 pm for a 2 hour informal processing instruction using Lightroom Classic CC.
What You’ll Need For Processing Class:
- Bring your laptop to the class loaded with a couple of images you want to process. Make sure you have the latest version of Lightroom Classic CC loaded. If you don’t already own Lightroom Classic CC you can download a free 7 day trial here.
- Please have your Milky Way images from the night before pre-loaded in Lightroom before arriving to class. Pick 3 you want to process in class.
- Notebook paper and pen for keeping notes.
- You will be given a 4 page "cheat sheet" on the things we covered for you to take home.
Just email us through our contact
page to discuss your needs and scheduling.
Once we have confirmed a date and time you will be referred back to the website to purchase your session.
Please feel free to contact me if you have ANY questions or need ANY help with your gear or equipment requirements. I am happy to help!
All Images Taken By: ©CraigWennersten