We Have Teamed Up With Monument Valley Safari To Host A Custom 3 Night Photography Tour Through Monument Valley Tribal Park
Join us on this amazing Navajo guided adventure to photograph the night sky over the restricted regions of Monument Valley and discover for yourself the untouched splendor of Navajo land.
Recommended for amateur and professional photographers, this Monument Valley journey under the stars offers a variety of ways to improve your photography skills with the guidance of a professional photo instructor to help you get the highest quality images.
Monument Valley is one of the most majestic and impressive places on earth. This great valley boasts sandstone masterpieces towering at heights up to 1000 ft. off the desert floor.
The pinnacles of rock are surrounded by miles of mesas, buttes, arches and windblown sand. The landscape overwhelms, not just by its beauty but also by its size.
We will take you to some of the most memorable and breathtaking places in Monument Valley - to capture beautiful sunsets, the Majestic Milky Way and amazing sunrises.
On this 3 night amazing photography journey, we will be teaming up with our favorite local Navajo experts and outfitter from Monument Valley Safari
~ who will fill you in on all the secrets of the area and answer any questions you might have about Monument Valley and Navajo traditions.
Our First Night's Journey:
Exclusive Journey Through The Monument Valley Floor
Capturing the sunset, and the Milky Way at Monument Valley's Most Iconic Landmarks.
On tonight's journey we will travel to restricted parts of the valley, from sandstone arches to famous monuments that could include:
- East & West Mitten Buttes
- John Ford’s Point
- The Three Sisters
- Totem Pole & YeiBiChei spires
- Big Hogan Arch
- Ear of the Wind Arch
- Sun’s Eye Arch
Our Second Night's Journey:
Photograph The Mystery Valley’s Secluded Arches
On this night we will be photographing the lesser-known section of Monument Valley, home to labyrinth canyons, sandstone arches, and ancient ruins.
Featuring majestic geological formations and ancient artifacts, Mystery Valley offers breathtaking views of wide open spaces and some of the darkest skies you have ever been in.
All of Mystery Valley is only accessible with a Navajo guide who is eager to share an insider perspective of this iconic area and teach you about Navajo culture and tradition.
We also visit and photograph many breathtaking arches, like the Honeymoon Arch, Skull Arch, Half Moon Arch, Tear Drop Arch and more all under the brilliant night sky.
Traveling around the Mystery Valley, with its red rock formations, often reminds people of a Martian landscape.
Our Third Night's Journey:
Camp Under The Stars in Hunts Mesa and Capture Amazing Photos
With incredible views and breathtaking scenery, the journey to the secluded Hunts Mesa is a MUST for adventurous photographers looking for a rewarding experience.
We will immerse ourselves in the beauty of Hunts Mesa Monument Valley, with this overnight photographic camping tour.
Hunts Mesa is often referred to as the jewel of the Monument Valley, but accessing this remote destination makes for a rough but exciting off-road 4×4 experience over sand dunes and rocks.
Once we arrive, the majesty of Hunts Mesa overwhelms you, and photo opportunities abound. Views overlook the entire Monument Valley, and there are plenty of amazing spots to set up your camera.
- We will begin this safari five hours before sundown. The two-hour drive takes you to the scenic Hunts Mesa overlook.
- At 6,795 feet above sea level, the photo camp overlooks the whole of Monument Valley!
- We will arrive approximately three hours before the sun begins to set. During that time, our Navajo guide will familiarize us with the area including some of the best places to capture sunset photos. Time to get our cameras ready!
- Visitors to Hunts Mesa take great pleasure in marveling at its unspoiled beauty; rich, colorful, dramatic and sheer cliffs, and magnificent panoramas.
- On this photo journey, we will take advantage of the mesa’s many opportunities, you must be willing to “rough it.”
- While we capture the amazing sunset, our Navajo guide will set up camp and make a cedar-wood fire.
- After having an amazing Navajo dinner - we will set out for our night shooting under the stars, capturing the Majestic Milky Way over the entire Monument Valley Vista.
- Our Navajo Guide provides everything for your comfort, including clean sleeping bags, a large spring bar tent, reclining camping chairs, and 2 meals.
- Dinner and Breakfast - Navajo style dinner and a continental breakfast the next morning.
- In the morning, we will have plenty of time to explore the area and take once-in-a-lifetime sunrise photos.
- On our descent from the mesa, we will visit some of the area’s natural arches and Anasazi ruins tucked away in labyrinthine narrow canyons and alcoves.
- We will say our goodbyes and wrap up our tour around 12 noon at the View Hotel parking lot.
Required Camera Equipment For Night Photography ~ What To Bring:
- DSLR or mirrorless camera with non-extended, "native" ISO to at least 12,800 and shutter speeds to at least 30 secs
- Wide angle lens with a aperture of f/2.8 or larger and a full frame equivalent of 14 - 24 mm
- A sturdy tripod (long exposures require it to be very stable)
- Shutter release cord or intervalometer
- Extra batteries
- Headlamp with a red filter
- Small flashlight
It's a good idea to practice with your camera in the dark before the tour.
Recommended Items ~ What To Bring:
- Warm layer clothing (as the night gets later it does get much colder)
- Gloves and hat
- Hiking Boots
- Personal toiletries for the camping night
- Personal water bottle
- Snacks and beverages (water)
- Bug Spray
- Folding camping portable chair. We do a lot of standing.
More Tour Details:
Participants: Limit 8
Experience Level: Recommended for amateur and professional photographers, who want to hone their photography skills with the guidance of a pro-photographer.
Endurance Level: Moderate - Light hiking is involved, but nothing too strenuous. Our guide will drive us to each location then hike to the best position.
Transportation: We will meet up with our guides and outfitter from Monument Valley Safari at the View Hotel who will provide transportation within the park every night.
Tour Time Information :
Day 1: Mandatory Meet and Greet at 1pm in the lobby at The View Hotel.
Please plan on arriving for our mandatory Meet and Greet in the lobby at The View Hotel, Indian Rte 42, Olijato-Monument Valley, AZ at 1 PM on the first day of your tour.
Night 1 of our tour will begin each day one hour prior to sunset and finish by midnight.
Night 2 of our tour will begin each day one hour prior to sunset and finish by midnight.
Hunts Mesa Overnight Camping on night 3 our tour will begin 5 hours before sundown and finish the next day by noon.
Meet Up Location:
We will depart each day from the parking lot of The View Hotel - Indian Rte 42, Olijato-Monument Valley, AZ
Photography Tour Dates Are All Scheduled Around New Moon:
Tour 1 Dates: April 27, 2022 to April 29, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On April 30, 2022
Tour 2 Dates: May 1, 2022 to May 3, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On May 4, 2022
Tour 3 Dates: August 24, 2022 to August 26, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On August 27, 2022
Tour 4 Dates: August 28, 2022 to August 30, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On August 31, 2022
Tour 5 Dates: October 23, 2022 to October 25, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On October 26, 2022
Tour 6 Dates: October 27, 2022 to October 29, 2022
Departure Date: Noon On October 30, 2022
Price For Photography Tour :
The cost of this photography tour DOES includes:
- 3 Nights of photography guiding by Craig Wennersten.
- 3 Nights of Local Expert Guided Journey through Monument Valley.
- All tours include a sunset or sunrise session along with night photography.
- One night under the stars camping photo journey in Hunts Mesa with our Navajo Outfitter - Monument Valley Safari.
- 2 Navajo Meals in Hunts Mesa (dinner and breakfast).
- Transportation within the park.
- All Permits and Park Entrance Fees.
- Local Tour Guide Fees and Gratuities.
This workshop DOES NOT included: Transportation to/from Bluff, Utah, flights or car rental, lodging.
Hope To See You There! Keep Looking Up!
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need any help with your gear or equipment requirements. I am happy to help!